Most of the recipes I cook are extremely forgiving. Just about all the ingredients can be tailored to what you have available or what you desire. More types of veggies can be added. This is a one pot meal, easy on the cook and easy on the dishwasher (done by hand in our household). Enjoy.
1-2 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 large onions, chopped
fresh rosemary and sage, finely chopped—to taste
4-6 red russet potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes
4-6 beets, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
4-6 carrots, chopped into 1 inch cubes
4 ears of sweet corn, cut from cob
water to cover veggies
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 or so cup of milk or cream
garnish with sprouts and hot sauce
1. Sautee the onions in butter and olive oil, cook on medium heat and stir until barely translucent. Add herbs; stir and cook another 2 minutes or so.
2. Add potatoes, beets and carrots. Barely cover with water. Put lid on pot, and cook on medium heat until veggies test soft with a fork, roughly 20-25 minutes.
3. Add corn, cook 3 more minutes. Turn off heat.
4. Add milk or cream, salt and pepper to taste. Keep covered, and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Garnish to taste and chow.
–Jody Lathwell, market mananger